Monday, March 28, 2005

Happy to be Lost

"Hopefully, now that Lost is returning from its extended break, we'll finally see some answers" That's a remark I've seen posted online a lot in the past few days, and I couldn't disagree with it more. The last thing I want is for Lost to answer its mysteries. Let me explain my reasoning.

Firstly, the whole point of Lost is that we don't know what's going on. The title refers as much to us as it does the castaways - we're the ones who are frickin' Lost. If we found out what was going on, there wouldn't be a show anymore. This is what makes the thing such a 'water cooler show' - we want to know whats with the polar bears, Claire's baby, and those darned creepy numbers. Let alone Ethan.

Secondly, there's no explanation to mysteries of the show that could satisfy me. I mean, it's too big. Right now, I imagine it has something to do with old US military research, the end of the world, and weird magic stuff. The whole situation is so intricate and connected and strange, it's almost impossible to coherently explain it, especially the numbers part of it. But if the show explained it all, I'd be disapointed.

Finally, the people who make this show know this as much as I do - everytime they kinda-sorta answer one mystery, they replace it with an even bigger one. This kind of storytelling plate spinning can only last so long - eventually they'll have to explain it, in which case interest will wane, or the amount of compounding mysteries will simply collapse under its own weight - but I think we've got a couple of good seasons before that happens. In other words, don't call me on Wednesday night.

In Easter news, I spent a lot of time watching basketball this weekend, which was fine with me. The PSP is now winging its way to New Zealand. Well, let me clarify - it's on a plane. The PSP can't fly: That's on the feature list for the PSP 2.

While we're talking about the PSP, I should note that I ended up buying the thing at Target, on the advice of my lovely wife. She predicted that Target was the store least likely to be overrun by the army of dorkness. As usual, she predicted right.

No comments: